I’ve been on holidays, leaving the evening after updating my Mac to the latest Java.
This update essentially (for 10.7 and 10.8) users, removed Apple’s involvement in Java for the platform completely by removing Java Preferences and making the default Java 7. More info at Cnet.com / Java Preferences missing after latest OS X Java update.
Anyway, I was receiving emails from Crash Plan telling me I haven’t backed up for days. Mmm I thought, I wonder what my wife has done :).
I got home and sure enough the CP menu-bar icon was grayed out and there was a message saying “Unable to connnect to the local backup engine”. My wife was not the cause (not that I really thought that anyway but still gotta wonder).
I opened Console and I found it saying:
26/10/12 11:07:59.610 PM com.apple.launchd: (com.crashplan.engine) Tried to setup shared memory more than once
Suggestions were that CrashPlan needed to up the
-Xmx Java max memory setting. Made no difference.
I then looked a bit deeper and found /Library/Logs/CrashPlan, and in particular the engine_error.log.
Caused by: com.jniwrapper.LibraryNotFoundException: Cannot find JNIWrapper native library (libjniwrap.jnilib) in java.library.path: /var/root/Library/Java/Extensions:/Library/Java/Extensions:/Network/Library/Java/Extensions:/System/Library/Java/Extensions:/usr/lib/java:.:/Applications/CrashPlan.app/Contents/Resources/Java/lib
tells me its Java 1.7 which made me thing something was odd since I set 1.6 as the default.
I tried to open Java Preferences, which on the Mac let you set which version of Java is the default. It no longer existed. I found the cnet article liked to above (Cnet.com / Java Preferences missing after latest OS X Java update) telling me the Java ecosystem on the Mac is changing.
I searched on “Crash Plan mac osx java 7” and I found this java.dzone article. It said to change the version of Java used for the Crash Plan service back to 1.6 in the
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.crashplan.engine.plist Launch Daemon file. See that article for precise instructions.
Following this remedy fixed the problem. As a bonus I can drop my Java max memory (back to the 512k)!